At first sight, this chocolatey cake looks so naughty. Simmer down 😃 you can enjoy, without worrying so much. Oh no…. too much sugar….. too much butter…… With the increase in children parties. It has become more important to find recipes that have less butter, sugar and substitutes for nuts. And yet to find a cake that is still tasty and moist. My sister-in-law said she had tried baking healthy cakes for my nieces. But each time they tried it they were not convinced, it was tasty enough to substitute for a “cake” 😜. Then my mum mentioned, she had gone to a party, and couldn’t believe how good a courgette and walnut cake tasted. So here goes, I put it to the test, slightly dubious to start with. But OMG I will never doubt the courgette again!
This recipe is mummies dreams come true. Instead of butter it has olive oil. Instead of nuts for extra flavour, you can use orange zest. It reminds me of Terry’s orange chocolate. And the ingredient that brings it all together, is a courgette. After trying this recipe, you may feel like I do. Why are courgettes underused in cakes???? It gives the cake a beautiful moistness and what’s more your friends will never know you used it, if disguised in chocolate 😋
400g Courgette (1 medium)
175ml Olive oil
2 tsp Vanilla essence
50g Cocoa powder
300g Caster sugar
350g self raising flour
1tsp Orange zest
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius fan and grease a baking tray.
2. Take off the skin of the courgette and grate.
3. Mix olive oil, sugar, egg, vanilla essence, courgette and orange zest together
4. Mix the flour and cocoa powder together.
5. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
6. Put into the baking tray and bake for 40-50 minutes or until baked.